Donegal County Council is preparing a new County Donegal Development Plan for the period 2024-2030.
A Pre-Draft public consultation process has commenced and runs from Friday 8th of April to Friday 3rd of June 2022 (Inclusive).
What is the Donegal Development Plan 2024-2030?
The development plan will set out an overall strategy for the proper planning and sustainable development of Donegal from 2024-2030. It will include a written statement (with text, objectives and policies), maps (with zonings) and associated Environmental Reports.
It will also include Local Area Plans for Buncrana and Bundoran and a Settlement Framework Plan for Ballybofey / Stranorlar dealing exclusively with economic development opportunities arising from the TEN-T Priority Route Improvement Project Donegal.
Why do we Need a Development Plan?
The plan will guide future planning and public investment decisions around, for example:
- The type and location of new housing (e.g. urban, rural).
- The nature and location of new economic Development.
- How we help mitigate the impacts of, and adapt to, climate change.
- The location of new transport infrastructure (e.g. roads, walking and cycling).
- How we manage our natural and built heritage (e.g. Landscape, protected buildings).
How is the Plan Made?
The plan is made in 3 stages over a 2-year period namely.
- Stage 1: Pre-Draft Preparation
- Stage 2: Draft Plan
- Stage 3: Amendments to the draft plan
Who makes the plan?
The development plan is made by the Elected Members (Councillors) with the support of the Council’s Planning Section following consultation with the public and other bodies.
How Can I get Involved?
Your opinion matters and you can help to shape the new development plan. The Council welcomes submissions from all sections of society.
See the submissions section to find out how you can get involved.